A Healing Gift to Humanity from Jordan Rubin
“No matter what health challenges plague
you today, there is hope for an answer.”
• Ovarian Cysts
• Fibrocystic Breast Disease
• Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
• Uterine fibroids
One of the key issues for women’s health is to maintain balanced estrogen levels. By improving their estrogen profile, women can markedly reduce their risk of one of the major causes of death, breast cancer. This can be done simply with the dietary measures detailed below—especially the use of RevivAll Female Vitality Formula and Super Seed, as well as avoiding exposure to environmental xenoestrogens.
Most of us know that estrogen is the hormone responsible for stimulating development of female characteristics, and that changes girls into women. There is nothing evil or bad about estrogen—as long as the estrogen to which your body is exposed is derived from the healthy functioning of your organs and glands.
The key here is the body’s balance of estrogen. Different aspects of your diet, lifestyle, even medications prescribed by your doctor, the cosmetics you use, and consumption of alcohol all influence estrogen balance in your body.
The body produces different types of estrogen: estradiol, estrone, and estriol. Estrone and estriol are much weaker estrogens than estradiol. The body converts estradiol, the most potent estrogen, either to “good” estrogen (2-ydroxyestrone) which is weakly anti-estrogenic and reduces risk of breast cancer, or “bad” estrogen (16- alpha-hydroxyestrone) which is more long-lived and potent, stimulates breast cell proliferation, and is carcinogenic. 63 High levels of this bad estrogen are a “risk marker” or an indication of increased risk of breast cancer.64,65,66
Phytoestrogens and lignans are a group of naturally occurring chemicals derived from plants; they have a structure similar to estrogen, and form part of our diet. They also have potentially anticarcinogenic biological activity.
Thus, they appear to be an effective dietary means for reducing cancer risk by improving estrogen metabolism. Many studies associate higher levels of circulating phytoestrogens and lignans with overall improved women’s health and improved estrogen profiles.
And just how should women go about raising their blood levels of the lignans? That answer comes to us from a very recent report in the February 2002 issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition.67
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of flaxseed supplementation as a part of daily diet on serum lipids, fatty acids and plasma enterolactone. Eighty volunteers participated in this clinical nutrition study, which was carried out in a controlled, double-blind manner. There was a significant increase in serum alpha-linolenic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid, the major omega-3 fatty acids found in flaxseed. Serum enterolactone concentration was doubled during flaxseed supplementation.
“In this study we were able to show that, by adding ground flaxseed and flaxseed oil to one or two daily meals, it is possible to obtain significant effects on serum levels of enterolactone and alphalinolenic acid,” the researchers said.
This leads us to our next dramatic finding—that by raising levels of alpha-linolenic, eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids women are further protecting themselves against breast cancer (as well as heart disease and arthritis).
Experimental studies have indicated that omega-3 fatty acids, including alpha-linolenic, eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids, inhibit mammary tumor growth and metastasis. To clinically evaluate whether omega-3 fatty acids protect against breast cancer, researchers, reporting in the 2002 issue of the International Journal of Cancer, examined the fatty acid composition in adipose tissue from 241 patients with invasive, non-metastatic breast carcinoma and from 88 patients with benign breast disease, in a case-control study in Tours, central France.68 Women with the highest levels of alpha-linolenic acid had a 61 percent reduced risk of breast cancer compared to women with the lowest levels. In a similar way, women with the highest levels of docosahexaenoic acid had a reduced risk of 69 percent, compared to women with the lowest levels. “In conclusion, our data based on fatty acids levels in breast adipose tissue suggest a protective effect of n-3 fatty acids on breast cancer risk and support the hypothesis that the balance between n-3 and n-6 fatty acids plays a role in breast cancer,” the researchers said.
It is clear that by reducing levels of “bad” estrogen that women’s risk of breast cancer is reduced. The most effective and safe way of doing so is with diet— including more flax, fish, high omega-3 eggs and fermented foods.
Measure Your “Good” & “Bad” Estrogen
An ELISA method for measuring 2- and 16-alpha-hydroxylated estrogen (OHE) metabolites in urine is available and the ratio of urinary 2-OHE/16-alpha-OHE (2/16-alpha ratio) is a useful biomarker for estrogen-related cancer risk. Contact Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory,
Choose mainly foods from the “Super” and “Healthy” categories until optimal health is achieved for at least three months (or if experiencing symptoms such as painful PMS, hot flashes, bone loss, low libido, or low energy, until symptoms are gone for at least three months.) Once symptoms are greatly improved, you may gradually add foods from the “Neutral” or “Dangerous” categories if desired. To attain and maintain vibrant health, I recommend consuming foods from the “Super” and “Healthy” categories as the main part of a healthy diet.
These therapeutic foods will help you get well. Appendix A lists sources where you can obtain these foods.
• Cultured goat’s milk dairy products: Consume 8 to 32 ounces of the highest quality cultured dairy products from goat’s milk. I recommend a 30 hour fermented yogurt called Probiogurt. Try to find yogurt that does not contain the organism Streptococcus thermophilus, a bacterial microbe that has been known to make immune-system disorders worse.
• Grass-fed red meat: Red meat from grass-fed cattle, buffalo, and lamb is very healthy and can be eaten a few times per week. This meat is a great source of protein, minerals, vitamin B12, vitamins A and D, omega-3 fats, and CLA.
• Omega-3 eggs: Consume as many as two eggs high in omega-3 fatty acids each day. These eggs contain DHA, vitamins E and B12, and antioxidants including lutein.
• Extra virgin coconut oil: This oil is perhaps the healthiest of the widely available oils. I recommend cooking almost exclusively with extra virgin coconut oil. Consume as much as two to three tablespoons per day of the oil in cooking, smoothies, or right off the spoon. It contains large amounts of lauric acid, a potent antimicrobial and one of the chief fatty acids in breast milk.
• Ocean-caught fish: This type of fish is perhaps the healthiest of all protein sources. Salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring and albacore tuna are high in the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. Ocean-caught fish can be consumed every day to enhance digestive and immune system health.
• Cod liver oil: Take one to three teaspoons of Olde World Icelandic Cod Liver Oil each day. The amount consumed should be based upon the amount of sunlight you receive. People in colder climates generally need to consume larger amounts. Cod liver oil is a fantastic source of the omega-3 fats DHA and EPA, as well as vitamins A and D.
• Vegetable juice: Consume vegetable juices that are low in carbohydrates, such as celery and green juices mixed with a small amount of higher carbohydrate veggies such as carrot or beet. Mix in some form of healthy fat with each glass of the juice. One to three teaspoons of cultured goat’s milk, extra virgin coconut oil, canned or fresh coconut milk and cream, or flaxseed oil enhances absorption of minerals and prevents spikes in blood sugar.
• Fermented vegetables: Consume a few tablespoons of fermented vegetables such as sauerkraut with each meal to aid in digestion. Fermented vegetables are an excellent source of naturally occurring probiotics and enzymes.
• Stocks: It is a great idea to consume stocks on a regular basis, especially when you have a cold or flu. Stocks made from the bones of chicken, fish, lamb and beef contain minerals, gelatin, cartilage, collagen, and electrolytes from the vegetables. Stocks are an excellent source of proteins, especially collagen. They help to heal the gut lining and reduce inflammation.
Take these health supplements to alleviate symptoms and get well. Appendix B explains where to obtain these supplements.
• Perfect Food: Take one to two tablespoons twice daily with eight ounces water or fresh vegetable juice.
• RevivAll Female Vitality Formula: Take six caplets twice a day, morning and evening, on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes away from food for 30 days. Decrease to three caplets twice per day for 60 days. Once health is greatly improved, you may reduce intake to a maintenance level of four caplets once per day first thing in the morning. RevivAll Female may be taken with other food supplements.
• Clear Energy: Take six caplets per day with meals for a total of 100 days. Thereafter, take three caplets per day with meals. Do not consume Clear Energy after 6:00 p.m.
• Springs of Life: Consume at least eight, eight-ounce glasses per day of purified water mixed with 12 drops of Springs of Life living water concentrate.
• Super Seed: Consume one, two-tablespoon serving twice per day, morning and evening, with eight or more ounces of purified water.
• Goatein: The only protein powder on the market made from organically produced goat’s milk. This protein powder is partially pre-digested, low temperature dried and is usually well tolerated by those with food allergies and digestive problems. Take one to four tablespoons per day mixed in water, juice, smoothies, yogurt or can be used in baking.
For people who have or may have imbalanced intestinal flora or a weak immune system, avoiding contact with chlorinated water is of the utmost importance. That includes bathing water and drinking water. Chlorine kills bacteria, friendly and unfriendly, in the intestines. It can be absorbed through the skin. I recommend installing a shower filter to remove chlorine. Avoid swimming in chlorinated water as well.